Author: Daily Sabah With Reuters
U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration will revoke the temporary legal status of 530,000 Cubans, Haitians, Nicaraguans and Venezuelans in the United States, according to a Federal Register notice on Friday, the latest expansion of his crackdown on immigration. It will be effective April 24. The move cuts short a two-year “parole” granted to the migrants under former President Joe Biden that allowed them to enter the country by air if they had U.S. sponsors. Trump, a Republican, took steps to ramp up immigration enforcement after taking office, including a push to deport record numbers of migrants in the U.S. illegally.…
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un met with Russia’s top security adviser Sergei Shoigu on Friday, and said North Korea will continue to support Russia’s struggle to protect national sovereignty, North Korean state media KCNA said on Saturday. Shoigu travelled to North Korea and discussed Ukraine with Kim, Russia’s TASS news agency had reported on Friday. Kim and Shoigu discussed ways to further expand and strengthen exchanges and cooperation between Russia and North Korea in various fields including in security, KCNA said, without elaborating.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un met with Russia’s top security adviser Sergei Shoigu on Friday, and said North Korea will continue to support Russia’s struggle to protect national sovereignty, North Korean state media KCNA said on Saturday. Shoigu travelled to North Korea and discussed Ukraine with Kim, Russia’s TASS news agency had reported on Friday. Kim and Shoigu discussed ways to further expand and strengthen exchanges and cooperation between Russia and North Korea in various fields including in security, KCNA said, without elaborating.
Tech billionaire and Donald Trump ally Elon Musk promoted a cash giveaway Thursday for Wisconsin voters who sign a petition against “activist judges,” days before a key election for the US state’s supreme court. The move comes as Trump demands that courts across the nation stop blocking his agenda. Judges in recent weeks have delayed efforts by his administration to overhaul the federal government through Musk’s so-called Department of Government Efficiency. America PAC, a pro-Trump political action committee established and largely funded by Musk, said it would give $100 to Wisconsin voters who sign the “petition in opposition to activist…
The founder of a cryptocurrency financial services firm pleaded guilty on Friday to U.S. charges that he participated in a wide-ranging scheme to manipulate the market for digital tokens on behalf of client companies. Aleksei Andriunin, the founder and CEO of cryptocurrency “market maker” Gotbit, and his company entered guilty pleas in federal court in Boston to charges that they conspired to commit market manipulation and committed wire fraud. The pleas by the Russian national and his company came less than a month after Andriunin, 26, was extradited from Portugal, where he had been residing at the time of his…
British stocks closed lower on Friday on continued worries about the economic impact of U.S. tariff policy, while a shutdown of Heathrow Airport pressured travel stocks. The blue-chip FTSE 100 was down 0.6%. The mid-cap FTSE 250 index declined 0.9%. Despite the day’s losses, the blue-chip index rose 0.3% this week. The mid-cap index snapped four weeks of losses, rising 0.5%. Meanwhile, Britain’s Heathrow said it had begun the process of reopening, after a fire knocked out its power supply and shut Europe’s busiest airport for the day. The shutdown weighed on airline and travel stocks globally, though stocks pared…
Europe’s biggest military powers are drawing up plans to take on greater responsibilities for the continent’s defence from the U.S., including a pitch to the Trump administration for a managed transfer over the next five to 10 years, the Financial Times reported on Thursday. The UK, France, Germany and the Nordics are among the countries engaged in the informal but structured discussions, the newspaper reported, citing four European officials involved.
Billionaire Elon Musk took his campaign to cut the U.S. federal government into uncharted waters on Friday, holding an unprecedented top-level meeting at the Pentagon and calling for the prosecution of any Defense Department officials leaking “maliciously false information” about his visit. Musk, whose businesses have a number of Defense Department contracts, met U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth for 80 minutes in his first such talks at the Pentagon, which is responsible for a large chunk of federal government spending. It was unclear whether U.S. generals joined that meeting virtually. The New York Times reported that Musk would be briefed…
Palestinian resistance group Hamas is to blame for deaths in the Gaza Strip since hostilities resumed, the United States told the United Nations Security Council on Friday. “Hamas bears full responsibility for the ongoing war in Gaza and for the resumption of hostilities. Every death would have been avoided had Hamas accepted the bridge proposal that the United States offered last Wednesday,” acting U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Dorothy Shea told the 15-member council.
Europe’s biggest military powers are drawing up plans to take on greater responsibilities for the continent’s defence from the U.S., including a pitch to the Trump administration for a managed transfer over the next five to 10 years, the Financial Times reported on Thursday. The UK, France, Germany and the Nordics are among the countries engaged in the informal but structured discussions, the newspaper reported, citing four European officials involved.