Author: Anadolu Agency
American technology company Apple on Monday announced the launch of a 720 million yuan ($99.3 million) investment fund to accelerate clean energy development in China, advancing the company’s goal to transition its supply chain to 100% renewable energy by 2030. The second phase of the China Clean Energy Fund, managed by Schroders, is set to add nearly 550,000 megawatt-hours of wind and solar capacity annually to China’s power grid. “This builds on the success of the initial fund,” launched in 2018, which created over 1 gigawatt (GW) of renewable energy projects across 14 provinces, it stated. “Our suppliers in China…
Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly on Sunday met with his Palestinian counterpart Mohammad Mustafa in Cairo to address ongoing efforts to sustain the ceasefire between Hamas and Israel in Gaza and explore avenues for the reconstruction of the strip, Egypt’s government said. Madbouly reaffirmed Egypt’s support for Palestinians, emphasizing the importance of keeping them on their land, the statement said. He highlighted a reconstruction plan Egypt crafted and recently endorsed by an emergency Arab League summit in Cairo, noting that further coordination with regional and international partners, as well as Palestinian counterparts, would refine its implementation details. The Arab summit,…
Türkiye’s ambassador to the UN on Monday underscored the need for adaptability in UN peacekeeping operations to address evolving global challenges. Ahmet Yildiz paid tribute to fallen peacekeepers at a UN Security Council meeting, saying: “Their sacrifice is a solemn reminder of the dangers faced by those who serve under the UN flag.” Highlighting Türkiye’s longstanding contributions to peacekeeping efforts, he said: “Now it is incumbent upon all of us to ensure that peacekeeping remains relevant and responsive to the evolving challenges to global peace and security.” “We cannot afford to continue business as usual, not when the international landscape…
The Israeli military announced on Monday evening that it intercepted two rockets launched from the Gaza Strip targeting the Sderot settlement and adjacent areas. “Following the sirens that sounded at 19:02 in the communities near the Gaza Strip, two projectiles that crossed into Israeli territory from the Gaza Strip were intercepted by the IAF (air force),” it said in a statement. Earlier, the army reported that sirens had been activated in Sderot and surrounding regions. Israel’s Army Radio noted this was the first time sirens had blared in Sderot since the ceasefire in Gaza ended, adding that the rockets originated…
Ukraine said on Sunday that at least three people were killed and over 10 injured due to an overnight Russian drone attack on the country’s capital Kyiv. “According to available information, three people died, including a five-year-old child. Another 10 were injured. Among the dead, a father and his little daughter,” said a statement by the Kyiv City Military Administration on Telegram. The air raid alert over the Ukrainian capital lasted for more than five hours, starting at 8.39 p.m. local time (1739GMT) on Saturday evening, the statement said. The attack damaged infrastructure, including residential buildings, in the city’s Podilskyi,…
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas accused Israel on Sunday of using water as a “weapon of war” to displace Palestinians from the Gaza Strip. “The (Israeli) occupation used another weapon to increase suffering, displacement, and indeed the slow death of our people, by halting all basic services, especially water, and preventing access to humanitarian aid in flagrant contravention of international human rights conventions and international resolutions,” Abbas said in a speech marking World Water Day. Abbas called on the international community to take “practical and radical steps” to find just solutions regarding the exacerbating water crisis in Gaza, the official news…
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan on Sunday called for making efforts on Gaza on the basis of Egypt’s plan, diplomatic sources said. Egypt’s Gaza plan, which is supported by all members of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), offers a constructive framework, Fidan said in his address at the OIC and Arab League Gaza Contact Group meeting in Egypt’s capital Cairo, the sources added. Stressing that genocide, forced displacement and apartheid are still continuing in Gaza while this meeting is in progress, Fidan said the Israeli airstrikes on March 18 revealed that Israel has a more comprehensive agenda. Emphasizing that…
The Palestinian foreign ministry condemned on Sunday an Israeli decision to recognise more than a dozen new settlements in the occupied West Bank, upgrading existing neighbourhoods to independent settlement status. The decision by Israel’s security cabinet was a show of “disregard for international legitimacy and its resolutions”, said a statement from the Palestinian Authority’s foreign ministry. The West Bank, occupied by Israel since 1967, is home to about three million Palestinians as well as nearly 500,000 Israelis living in settlements that are illegal under international law. Israel’s Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, a far-right leader and settler who was behind the…
The Arab-Islamic Ministerial Committee on Sunday expressed “deep concern” over the breakdown of the ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, according to a statement released after a meeting in Cairo with EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas. The announcement followed discussions between foreign ministers from Jordan, Palestine, Qatar, Egypt, Türkiye, Indonesia, Bahrain, and the UAE’s minister of state, alongside the secretaries-general of the Arab League and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC). The committee underscored the urgency of addressing the latest developments in the occupied Palestinian territories. It expressed “deep concern” over the Gaza ceasefire breakdown, which has led to significant…
France on Friday condemned an attack on UN personnel in Gaza that killed a United Nations Office of Project Services (UNOPS) employee and left two French nationals working for the UN seriously injured. “France expresses its dismay after two French nationals, United Nations employees, were seriously injured following strikes that hit two buildings housing United Nations personnel in Gaza, which also caused the death of a UNOPS employee,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement. “We extend our support and solidarity to our compatriots and their families; we are fully mobilized to provide them with assistance.” The statement added: “As…